Sunday 4 November 2012

And they have arrived....


After eight months of not seeing my parents, except on Skype, we were finally reunited at Arequipa Airport on 11th October. It was so nice to see them though they were very tired after spending two days travelling to get to me.

So what did we do when they were here? Well the first week was spent in Arequipa showing them around the city, visiting friends, spending time with my Peruvian family, visiting my work and other Latin Link projects as well.

The first day we went to Santa Catalina, the monastery in Arequipa, it mine and my dad’s second time there, me having visited in September and my dad 17 years ago, so suffice to say it was much different now than 17 years ago. Mum had never visited it before and was very taken by all the flowers which were in the monastery. 

Flowers at Santa Catalina
After a lovely lunch courtesy of friends back home, we then went and met fellow Strider Linda Fox for afternoon coffee. In the evening I took my parents to my house to see it and to meet Fred and then in the evening we went for tea at Virginia and Victor's house (two people from my church). With them not knowing English and my parents not knowing much Spanish, my translating skills were put to the test, but think I did ok. 


Virginia and Victor have three sons, Josue, Joaquin and Jordan. Little Jordan who is nearly two years old, really took to my Mum, sitting on her knee all night. She definitely made a friend there. 

Mum and Jordan
Saturday was spent walking around the artisan markets and then we went to back to my house for lunch with my Peruvian Mum and cousins David and Darwin. Again my translating skills were put to use and it went ok until Dad tried to make me explain about the history of Ireland (something which is hard to do in English sometimes) and also made me ask questions about Cows and the milking process in Peru. Think Dad just wanted to see me sweat!!

Mum and Dad were treated to their first taste of Peruvian food at lunch and had Seco de Cordeo (lamb in a corriander sauce) and Chicha Morado (a drink made out of Purple Maize)... think they were suitably impressed. 

On Sunday I took them to my Church where this time thankfully Paul Turner translated for them. And after church we had lunch with Paul and Ruth (Mum and Dad have know Ruth for years so it was good for them to catch up) and their friend Chloe. It was a lovely afternoon with a lovely meal prepared by Ruth. 

That is the first weekend told about, more to follow as they were here three weeks!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment