Monday 28 May 2012

Its been a while....


Well it has been a long time since I have written on my blog and am sorry for this neglect, I will try and get better, but now have finished school and am getting into my work,  I am busier than I was. But that is a good thing as it keeps me out of mischief!

I just thought I would tell you all what I have been doing of late. Well on the 11th May I finished language school after 3 months of classes for 4 hours a day – I think my brain was glad as it was getting full. However, that is not the end of my studying as am going to continue with classes for two days a week and this should start next week. Hopefully after three weeks break my brain will be able to cope with all the learning again.

I started working last week, but am not doing my full programme yet as I have been sick and the people who are looking after me want my energy and strength back to normal before I get crazy busy.  But am looking forward to getting stuck in at Nuevas Fuerzas, the Children’s home and also in the Sunday School at Church. I cannot believe that I have been here for 4 months already. Time flies.

On Wednesday 16th May I travelled to Lima with Cecily and Linda, two fellow striders also in Arequipa. And the reason for us going there was to attend a retreat for all the striders. There were 10 of us altogether (3 from Lima, 3 from Arequipa, 2 from Huaraz, 1 from Trujillo and 1 from Cusco). This was the first time we had all seen each other since the conference in February. The short term coordinators Paul and Ruth Turner were also there as were Andy and Brenda Parkins who are long term missionary’s in Lima. Andy was our speaker for the three days.

It was a good time getting together with everyone, soaking up some rays by the pool, playing games, hearing what everyone has been up to as well as learning about God from the book of James. 

The book of James is special to me as the verses have helped me in difficult times of my life and I was looking forward to learning more from this book. And I definitely did that. On the first night I was feeling very emotional due to overtiredness and not being well, and was ready to go home. However, God used Andy’s talk that night to speak to me – it actually felt at one point that I was the only person in the room and Andy was talking directly to me. When I told this to Andy, he said “Yes, I was just talking to you” ha ha. It felt weird, and don’t mind telling you but GOD broke me that night – and as one of my friends said, “it’s about time to, I’ve been waiting three months for it” Well it happened.

Two things from the talk struck me: one was how God uses us in his plans, we are his continuing work, we are significant to God and we are in the process of becoming who He wants us to be. The second thing was about perseverance. That night before the talk I was listening to my emotions and ready to go home, but afterwards I knew I should not give up but continue on this path God has put me on and though am sick at the moment , I will not always be. And even in my sickness He can use me as God uses all circumstances for His good and also to help transform us.

James is a fascinating book and will always be dear to me as God has used those words to speak to me on different occasions, and even twice since arriving in Peru. So if you ever want to get me to listen to something quote James to me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment