Friday 29 June 2012

Nuevas Fuerzas Update

Well I have now been working in Nuevas Fuerzas for five weeks and am enjoying it there, think I fit in well.We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week and no day is the same, each day brings new challenges/experiences.

Most people that come have a routine of when they are there for example Pablo, Maribel and Juan always use the computers for the first half of Tuesdays and then other people use them after the break. And Katy and Miraglos always colour in. - though Katy has nearly coloured in every picture we have, am always trying to find more on the web for her. When it comes to Miraglos I have never seen anyone colour in with so much concentration before until I met her it is amazing... her picture are always so neat and lovely looking.

Miraglos
Then they are games for the others to play including Uno and Jenga. Alejandro loves playing Jenga, actually he loves pushing the bricks over and watching them fall. He can be hard to work with sometimes, but for some reason he responds to me, and we have this thing where I copy what he does and then he gives me a hug  - its sweet. He also loves music and on Thursdays when we were cooking we put music on and he usually moves his arms to that. This Thursday I had him up dancing which he enjoyed. 

Alejandro and Me

Just about to do the twirl!!

Lots of them like music and can enjoy getting up and having a wee dance... think dancing in a church would not be on in some places, but seems to be ok here... 

Vanessa, Miraglos and Manuel

I have mentioned that on Thursdays we have a cooking time. During this time one of the professors from the International Colegio comes and does some cooking with us - we have made Peruvian dishes such as Arroz Chaufa and we have also made British biscuits including Chocolate Krispies which were nice. Last Tuesday I even made Top Hats (or in Spanish Sombero Altos) with a few of the young adults -think I ended up with more chocolate on me than the actual top hats did, cooking is a messy business!

So each day as different things and some times some people come and sometimes they don't but we most days there are 15 young adults, well 17 if you include Paul the leader and me! 

I am looking forward to the next few months and getting to know them better, they all have their wee quirks - like Katy who loves to talk and Javier who has taken to hitting me on the head and saying 'SO' everytime I say 'Que' (What?) so it makes 'Queso' which is Cheese in Spanish - funny! 

I still struggle in terms of talking to them with my Spanish but each day gets better and most of them are patient with me which is good.  At the end of July we will be having two weeks holidays. During these weeks the Step Team who are coming out from England will do a few activities with them for a couple of days and I will also go and visit some of the girls in their houses. I already visit Maribel, been to visit her twice now and that seems to be going well - she is helping me with my Spanish and I am teaching her a bit of English at the minute  - we have been doing colours and numbers so far.

Marible






No comments:

Post a Comment