Saturday 1 September 2012

On the water

Last week Ali, a ex work colleague and friend from England came to visit me. It was fun. While I worked she showed herself the sights of Arequipa and then on Thursday which was a bank holiday here the two of us went rafting on the River Chili.

This is something I have never done before and something which have always wanted to do. Though I know my family members were scared when I told them I was doing it, scared I would break an arm or lose my teeth - but am pleased to inform you that I survived and came back in one piece.

When we arrived to the office of the guys who do the rafting we were given wetsuits, shorts, shirt and a helmet and it all made a pretty sight really  very elegant!!

There were 10 of us altogether and we were put into two boats, a Spanish boat and a English boat. We went 6km on the river and went over about 12 rapids ranging from class 2 to class 4. Not being a outdoor person this meant nothing to me, but some of them were pretty rough and twice I nearly fell out of the boat but thankfully the lovely good looking instructor Rodrigo caught me before I went the whole way in. Someone else from the other boat did fall in.

Half way down the course we came to this big rock and Rodrigo said does anyone want to jump this and the American guy in our boat said yes, so we stopped and everyone climbed up to jump. I was not sure about doing it as I am not a great swimmer anymore, but I did jump and wow. I think  swallowed half of River Chili  but I survived even though went hit the water I thought I was a goner!!

About to Jump

Mid Jump

Ali decided not to jump, and she was very sensible. But even though it scared me a bit, I was glad I did it. 

The whole morning of rafting was fun and it was one of those things to do before I die ticked of my list. I recommend it to anyone. 

To see more photos please click here - they were taken by one of the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment