Saturday 29 September 2012

Around the World

A couple of weeks ago at the Jovenes we had a special night for all jovenes of all baptist churches, this was called Fiesta Costumbrista Misionera Unida and was basically an Around the World night.

Each of us were paired into twos with a jovene from another church and told to pick a country to represent. I was paired with Illich and surprise surprise we decided on Ireland - just because I knew more about it than any other country.

On the night we had to do a little speech about the country, so I decided that I would write all the information out and Illich would speak, made life easier for me. We also had to bring some traditional food from our chosen country - so with a little help (well maybe a lot of help) from my fellow Irish Strider Linda, I made Potato Bread and took it a long. The reviews of this Irish delicacy were mixed with some not liking it and some loving it..

Potato Bread
We also had to wear traditional dress of our chosen countries, but Ireland does not really have any traditional dress, so instead I wore a Northern Irish football top and Illich wore the Irish Rugby Jersey (kindly leant to me by my work boss). Everyone else was in very traditional dress so I felt a wee bit embarrassed but hey what can you do if your country does not have traditional dress. Feel free to correct me on that, does Ireland have traditional dress which I do not know about?

Illich and I in our 'traditional' dress

Jenny in her Brazilian dress

Rocio in typical African dress
It was an interesting night and overall there were 9 different countries represented: China, Senegal, Peru (two provinces of Peru were represented: Cusco and Piura), Argentina, Jamaica, Brazil, India, Mexico and Uruguay.




No comments:

Post a Comment