Friday 11 November 2011

What will I be doing?

I will be working with disabled teenagers with an organisation called Latin Link. I will be working on a project called Nuevas Fuerzas which works with young adults with disabilities (aged 16 – 30) giving them companionship and teaching them new skills in computing, crafts and cooking etc . In Peru it is seen as shameful to have disabilities and they are not given the same opportunities as other Peruvian children i.e. the chance to go to school which is why Nuevas Fuerzas is very important and is welcomed by these young adults. They are very appreciative of being taught skills


The project is linked with a centre called Shalom – the aim of this centre is to help these people and give them a home and a place to be themselves and providing care for them and helping them learn new skills.


I will also be working two days a week in a children's home and helping out the local church with their children's work.


However, before I get to do any of that, my first three months will be spent learning Spanish in language school.

No comments:

Post a Comment