Friday 17 February 2012

Luz en la Roca

I promised on last post to talk a little about La Roca where we went last Wednesday with long-termer, Sharon Jones and also post some photos.

The full name of the Church is Luz en la Roca which means Light on the Rock and is in a 'pueblo joven' (shanty town) in Lima. It was set up by another long-termer Margaret Saunderson and now is run by Sharon. Her work there involves working with children, young people and adults, Bible teaching, discipleship and helping to meet practical needs.

When we went, it was the third day of a Children's club, think about 40 children turned up and were aged from 4 to about 16. A group of teenagers from another 'pueblo joven' came to lead the afternoon and it consisted of singing songs (in Spanish so I could not join in really), listening to the story of Nehemiah and doing crafts.

They were split into three different age groups for the talk and crafts and I went with the under 6's. As my Spanish is practically non existent I could not join in and chat with the kids, so I just used my other skills of glueing, sharpening pencils and handing out drinks as well as smiling to the wee kids. Even with no language you can still prove helpful in other ways, which is always good.

The afternoon started at 4pm and finished at 6pm, the kids seemed to have a really good time and enjoyed themselves which is the main thing. I enjoyed my time there as well and love the fact that even though the kids do not have much they are content with what they have and are happy wee buddies with smiles on their faces.

The views of the Shanty Town were pretty amazing as well, but hard to take the sights of people's living conditions in, it reminded me of my time in Africa visiting my sister.

Here is some pics:









No comments:

Post a Comment