Tuesday 14 February 2012

Week One

Well I have been in Peru for over a week now - so thought would update you all on what has been going on.

I arrived on Saturday 4th, and the weekend was just spent relaxing, sleeping, chatting to each other and eating. All Striders arrived during the weekend except Anna who had already been there a week.

Monday morning saw the beginning of our orientation week - which saw us cover different topics like Peruvian culture, churches, living with a Peruvian family, Health issues, Safety issues including what to do in an earthquake etc. It was a busy week with lots to take in and all of us were coping with jetlag as well.

We also experienced Peruvian food, drinks (Inca Cola - tastes like Irn Bru and is lovely), and had some fun as well. I discovered Pinkberry, an American frozen yoghurt place which sis gorgeous - unfortunately there is none in Arequipa, just Lima.


Inca Kola

On Monday, I had to go and get my documents signed so that I can apply to stay in the country for a year, and then on Tuesday had to get my finger prints done, teeth counted and photo taken so I can apply for my carnet which will be my ID for the time I am here. It is being processed at minute and will have to come back to Lima to get it. Another excuse to visit Pinkberry!

All week I was staying in a place called Miraflores in Lima which is a nice area. On Tuesday we went into the center of Lima, to see the Cathedral, Government Offices etc - very nice architecture.

On Wednesday, we went to La Roca, one of the projects of two Latin Link team members, but will talk about that in a separate post.

On Thursday night we went to a Water Fountain Park which was fun - there were fountains everywhere (you don't say) and we ran in and out of one trying to dodge the spurts of water, but I did get a bit soaked, was fun though. Loads of kids there having a fantastic time. Then there was a light show in one of the fountains, was like a water firework display, was amazing, Will post some photos on another post.

On Friday, I was not feeling great and tired so I stayed back at the flat whilst everyone went on the first electric train in Lima.

Saturday was a day off, so just chilled  - rushed home from lunch for 3pm to watch the Ireland v France match only to discover it was called off, was very annoyed but probably not half as annoyed as the 80,000 who turned up to the stadium to watch it. Gutted.

That is the end of week one. Was a good week spent getting to know the other Striders, pity we will all be separated next week when we go to our different places, Also good getting to meet other Latin Link team members who are in Peru. Good to hear what everyone else is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment