Monday 26 March 2012

I am official now

In order to stay in Peru for a year or more, you need to get a Carnet which is an official residents card for Peru. So on Thursday, I flew to Lima with fellow strider Cecily so we could pick ours up on Friday.

The flight was good, and the first thing I felt when I got off the plane was the heat, wow it was so humid compared to Arequipa. I thought there and then, well that's bad hair days for the next three days, as when my hair meets humidity it will not behave itself and goes all weird. And if you see the picture on my carnet, it proves me right.

We went straight to the hostal from the airport (we were staying in the same place we stayed in during orientation, so at least we knew were we were going) and after dropping our bags, went to get a bite to eat and then back to hostal as next morning we had to be up very early so sleep was needed

We were at the immigration office by 7.15am the next morning and by 9.30 after lots of queuing, I had my carnet and was now an official resident of Peru. The same cannot be said for poor Cecily, and due to problems with her last carnet when she was here 12 years ago, Cecily is still in Lima trying to sort hers out. 

We were not just there for official business, we also managed to have some fun as well, despite the fact I was miserable with the flu and could barely function. Thankfully Cecily is a retired Nurse so she was looking after me, making sure I was getting fluids etc. 

On the Friday afternoon we had afternoon tea with Christine and Hannah, fellow striders which was lovely. We were treated to Scottish shortbread as well which Christine's parents who were over had brought with them. Her parents are both Northern Irish, though Christine is Scottish, so it was nice hearing home accents (though there are plenty in Arequipa to stop me getting homesick for the accent). 

Then on Saturday, we met up with Anna, a strider, who like us has only been here for 7 weeks. She is living in Lima and it was great hearing her stories and how she is settling in. I was meant to go and see one of her projects in the afternoon but felt so rubbish just went back to hostal to bed. Did not want to give the kids my bug. 

I left Lima on Sunday. I was meant to fly back with Cecily but she is still there, so flew back by myself. That was good for me, to negotiate the airport by myself and find my own way home too when I got back to Arequipa. Thankfully my Spanish is bit better than it was when I first arrived in Arequipa 5 weeks ago so I could talk to the taxi driver and get home no problem.

So that is my weekend... it was good despite the fact I was ill, but enjoyed it still. Please pray for Cecily who is still there, pray she will get things sorted quickly so she can get her carnet and come back to Arequipa.


No comments:

Post a Comment