Friday 9 March 2012

a poco a poco

It has been ten days since I last wrote and I know people are looking for an update on what I have been doing.

Well, what have I been doing since I last wrote - going to Spanish classes, doing Spanish homework, eating, sleeping - the same thing every day, so nothing really exciting - but learning a new language is exciting as well as frustrating as well.

It is a slow process learning Spanish, as they say here in Peru, a poco a poco entra la coco (little by little enter my head). And is is true, its little by little. I went to a prayer meeting at the church the other night and was surprised to find out that I could understand about 75% of what was being said - which is actually quite a big amount when you think about it.

I still cannot hold a proper conversation but I have only been going to classes for 15 days now. I can talk to my Peruvian family and other people by saying words and using my hands to get across what am trying to say. And you can often find Rut-Maria and myself sitting around the table both with dictionaries in our hands.

So as well as learning another language I am also reacquainting myself with the alphabet which is always a good thing.

I will speak the language soon I hope, but it is a very confusing language in some aspects because there are so many different kinds of verbs, there are masculine and feminine words, which word as an article and sometimes a word you think is feminine like problema actually turns out to be masculine. My teacher taught me to remember that one by thinking every time I hear it, all men cause problems!! And funnily enough the word for solution (solucion) is feminine!!

So in a nutshell that is what I have been doing for the past ten  days and will continue to do for the next nine weeks (as have three months language school to do - three weeks down)... but am sure I will find other things to write about - but my next few posts may be Spanish related - but at least it has been a bit informative because I have taught you a new phrase!!






No comments:

Post a Comment