Monday 19 March 2012

Toilet - Out of Use

Every other Wednesday night the Arequipa Latin Link team meet up to worship, pray and study the bible together. For me this is a good time because not only am I getting to know the other members of the team but it is also a night where I can speak English all night. Bliss.

The meeting is held in a different house every time and when we met last Wednesday, it was in Ruth Green and Rosemary Gibson's house. There were just five of us as Paul and Ruth Turner were in Lima to welcome the Peru Step team.

As I am a newbie to the team I am still trying to be polite and not cause any trouble - basically trying to leave a good impression with them and make them see that I am a lovely person and invite me back to their house.

Well after this past Wednesday I am surprised that Ruth and Rosemary invited me back to their house which they did on Friday night, where I did behave myself.

The same cannot be said about Wednesday night. This is the story, am not sure if you will crack up laughing like Cecily and Linda did (my fellow striders) but maybe...

We had just finished dinner and were about to start our meeting when I asked if I could use the bathroom, which they kindly said yes to. So I traipse off to the loo and well you know... anyway I finished what I was doing, washed my hands (am a good girl and do that), open the door, turn off the light and close the door.

All was well, or was it? Before I closed the door I thought it would be a brilliant idea to push the button on the inside of the door which effectively meant that when I shut the door, the door was locked and no one else could get in. What a fool! (Think I should be blonde!  - apologies to all my blonde readers)

I was so embarrassed I did not know what to do, so I sheepishly went back to the lounge and admitted what I did and was VERY VERY apologetic at the same time. Cecily and Linda just started to laugh and Linda said she was glad I was here now to do silly things like that.

Thankfully Ruth and Rosemary laughed but I was still embarrassed and what made matters worse that they did not have a key to unlock the door. I just left so bad for others who might need the toilet later (me included).

I was like, how are you going to get in and they are like it will be no problem. We began the study and I tried to forget about what happened, but couldn't. I spent the whole time praying "Lord, please let there be a way in to the bathroom otherwise I will never be able to come to this house again  - I will be blacklisted, or if I do come back to the house I can never go to the toilet again" Both those things would be bad.

When we finished the study, Ruth grabbed a big box of keys and tried everyone of them in the toilet door, no luck with any of them. I was slowly beginning to wish the ground would open up and swallow me. Another box of keys came out and again one by one they were tried, no luck again - oh no I thought. Fortunately, Rosemary decided to try some of the keys again. One by one several keys were tried and one by one they did not work, until YES one worked and the door was opened. Oh I was so thankful to the Lord for saving me on that one. The toilet door was open and people could go to the toilet again, thank goodness.

Despite causing trouble for them, Rosemary and Ruth gave me a lift home. During the journey we started talking about me being in Arequipa and how I was settling in. Rosemary said, "You are a breathe of fresh air" to which Ruth quipped, "Yes, no one has ever locked us out of our bathroom before"

Like I mentioned before I did visit their house again on the Friday night and when I asked if I could use their toilet, they said "Yes it is safe, the key is in the door". Which caused mighty laughs between people.

Moral of this story for you readers - if you invite me to your house, always make sure there is a key in the bathroom door.



No comments:

Post a Comment