Monday 17 December 2012

And the teaching comes to an end

Last Friday (14th Dec) was the end of year/Christmas show for Didache, the school I teach English in. I say end of year because December is the end of the school year in Peru as December - February is the summer here and now its time for summer holidays as well as Christmas celebrations.

So on Friday we had celebrations for Christmas including a nativity drama, Christmas songs in Portuguese, Spanish and English. For the past few weeks I have been teaching the kids how to sing Jingle Bells in English (if I ever hear the song again I may scream!), it has been good hearing them sing with enthusiasm, especially the 5 year olds. They sang it in front of their parents - they did it with enthusiasm as usual especially the Jingle Bells part but the line 'On what fun it is to ride In a one horse open sleigh' was a bit hard for them. Think they found the Portuguese song easier (the languages are similar after all). But it was still fun to hear them sing.

Singing Jingle Bells
You can see some of them are dressed in little white costumes, these are the sheep for the nativity play, they were so cute going across the stage on all fours. 

As it was Christmas and my time had come to an end at Didache, I was presented with a present along with the Portuguese teacher who is also leaving this year to go back to Brazil. It was a lovely picture frame with a photo of all the kids, teachers and the pastor and his wife (the school is connected to the church). Another lovely reminder of my time in Peru.


Talitha and me with our cards and gifts

There was also a clown there who did some party games. Then the kids all got their report cards given to them along with a Christmas present (why did that never happen to me, all I got was the bad reports!)..... 

The 5 year olds are going to big school next year so there was a special presentation for them and the three of them did a little dance piece.... Hayley and Julietta both took it in turns to dance with Christopher. 

The 5 year olds

It was lovely to be part of the end of year/Christmas show. I enjoyed teaching English there and getting to know the kids and the teachers and learning a new skill - teaching. Though am not sure I will be changing profession to teacher just yet!! 

To see more photos of the day please click here





No comments:

Post a Comment