Saturday 29 December 2012

I am an angel!

As well as having a lovely Christmas lunch on Christmas Day, I also attended a service in my church in the evening. As I was meant to be in the drama for the kids, I got down to the church at 5.30 but was the first one there.... and I did not even take part in the kids drama, too much talking for my limited Spanish! 

However, all was not lost, I was drafted into the drama for the jovenes, playing an angel. Ok I am 30 years old and it has taken me this long to be an angel! (ok, ok so am always an angel!!) this year in Peru as seen a lot of firsts (being a clown, being an angel in the nativity etc)

The service was meant to start at 6.30 but by the time we had all stopped practicing our dramas it was 7.30 when the service started. We had some singing, then the kids did their nativity play - so cute. It was based on a mum telling her three kids the story and then acted out with a mixture of wee kids and big kids (not enough wee kids available).... they told the story of the birth of Christ including the shepherds and the wisemen.  And then they sang a little song. 

Mum and the kids

The wisemen!!!

Mary and Joseph

All singing

Then there was more singing from the congregation and then it was time for the drama for the jovenes, so my five minutes of fame! We also did the nativity scene, but unlike the kids there was no talking - it was done to music and Lidia and Airyn told the story via dance while Mary and Joseph acted their parts with the help of the Shepherd and me, the Angel!! Look at how big my wings were...... nightmare, tell you!

Lidia and Airyn - the dancers

Mary, Joseph and the Angel

All of us.

Ok, so there was a reason I told you about the size of the wings.... it is a funny but yet not funny story. But is this not what blogs are for, to tell stories of my time away and embarrass myself!

My wings were very big and I had trouble getting off the stage through the curtain without hitting things and people, so I thought it would be good idea to jump sideways off the stage, but what I did not know was that the string from the curtain had made itself round my neck, so when I jumped, I ended up with the cord around my neck and bringing the curtain down around me - always said I would bring the curtain down one day!! Ok, so it was very embarrassing for me, but actually instead of laughing straight away people were quite worried about me and someone asked me why I felt like killing myself on Christmas Day.... I could have actually died! but thankfully for you lot, I am still alive. 

Not actually quite a funny story but when you look back on it, it was funny and think its brought an end to my acting days, safer dressing up as a clown. Been in Peru 11 months and already have had 4 chances of showing my acting skills!! Why do we do silly things in Foreign Countries? 

To see more photos of the church service please click here 




No comments:

Post a Comment