Tuesday 11 December 2012

Time for a BBQ

Saturday 8th December was a bank holiday in Peru - it was the Day of the Immaculate Conception. As on other bank holidays, our church had a BBQ or Parrillada as they call it here. The BBQ was held at the drug rehabilitation center which is linked to the church.

We were told to be at the church at 9.30 to get the bus - as usual I arrived at the correct time and was early... I for once was not the first person to be early so that was good. We waited and others arrived and eventually the bus came at 10am to take us.... even in Peru I still run on British time (sometimes I run on Peruvian time - that might happen more when I get home!)

We arrived at the center at 10.30 which is early for a BBQ but someone still managed to eat their BBQ'd food at 11am... way to early for me.

The day was not just about food, it was about getting together as a church with the members of the center, chatting and having fun. Fun was had in the shape of sports - volleyball, football and even rugby..... rugby is not heard of in this country much (the only Latin American team which play rugby to competitive standard is Argentina).

Volleyball

Football

I did not participate in the volleyball and the football was only for men, no fair... but while the football was going on, Lidia, Ely and I started our own game of rugby, it was not a fair game as it was them two against me - but then Marylin took pity on me and joined in to help me - however being rugby and all the game was a bit violent and somehow I ended up on the ground most of the time and more than any one else....

Lidi and Ely celebrating a try while I am on the ground

Trying to get the ball from me

It got worse later on as Daniel and Jozue joined us and it became girls v boys.... it was very funny and lots of photos were taken, actually during the day I took 133, but most of them are of us playing rugby ... not taken by me obviously. 

Ely trying to catch Jozue

Poor Jozue!!

It was a good day  - I enjoyed playing rugby despite now having a very sore body as I used muscles I had not used in a long time and I wrecked my knee. Yesterday at church, the day after, Lidia, Ely and I were all complaining about sore bodies... women hey!

I also enjoyed getting to know more people from the church and talking to guys from the drug rehabilitation center. Its a great project and the guys are all lovely  - some of them come to church on Sundays so I do see them there as well.  Drugs are a huge problem in Peru, and its great to see these guys coming to the center and wanting to change and its good seeing God work in their lives as well.

To see more pictures please go here and here - do not worry I did not upload all 133...... 



No comments:

Post a Comment